Roof Cleaning, Repair & Replacement in Bellevue, WA
Mother Nature is an unpredictable force in the Puget Sound. Is your roof protecting you and your family from the outside elements? Alpine Roof Care keeps those elements from wrecking havoc to your home. A clean, repaired roof is important today for a multitude of reasons ranking from algae/moss/lichens, upkeep of homeowners insurance and home aesthetics. Learn more about Alpine Roof Care’s roof cleaning, repair & replacement services and keep you, your family and your home protected year round in Bellevue, WA.
Keep Professional Roof Cleaning Top Of Mind For Your Bellevue Home
A regular, professional roof cleaning is necessary to not only keep your Bellevue home beautiful but also ensuring the longevity of its life. In the Pacific Northwest, keeping your roof clean goes beyond the basic dirt and debris removal. The biggest issues lurk in those nasty looking black streaks and other discolorations. What are some of the more common and damaging entities?
- Algae – While the official name for these black streaks is Gloeocapsa Magma or GM Algae, most people refer to it as mold or fungus. This type of algae is particularly harmful as it, quite literally, eats away at your shingles. Especially in shaded areas, the algae thrives off the limestone in your roof’s shingles
- Lichens – Lichens are much more perilous than just algae and are commonly found when you have algae. Lichens are a combination of algae and fungus and are more damaging fungus because lichens wraps their roots around shingle’s granules while feeding on algae nutrients and shingle filler. Once established on your roof, lichens are very difficult to remove.
- Moss – Different from algae and lichens, moss is an actual plant with a root system. In moist cold areas, much like the Pacific Northwest, moss will thrive given our wet conditions almost year round. Roof shingles are prone to curling due to moss growth and, when frozen, moss can cause additional cracking and damage.
Keep algae, lichens and moss off your roof not only to maintains it beauty but to also ensure it’s structural integrity. While a cleaning may seem simple, it’s best left to the professionals as special treatments are needed to ensure more damage can’t be done.
Roof Repairs For Your Bellevue Home
At best, a roof leak is annoying, at worst it can be a sign of larger structural issues with your Bellevue home’s roof. If caught soon enough, a leak can be a quick, minor repair. What are common leak culprits?
- Cracked Vent – A common issue leading to roof leaks are cracked vents. Surrounding your vents, gaskets can become cracked, create gaps or have missing nails. Plastic vents are particularly prone to cracking after years of exposure to the elements. Easily allowing water into your home.
- Valley Seal – A valley is where two roof planes converge into a low point allowing water to run off. If this area is improperly sealed, heavy rains or ice can quickly cause leaks into your home.
- Damaged Shingles – Damaged shingles can be caused by many variables but most commonly the growth of algae, lichens and/or moss – who thrive off the limestone in the shingles and the moist weather of the Pacific Northwest.
- Missing Shingles – Notice missing shingles on your Bellevue home’s roof?. Typically, this happens after a bout of heavy winds or rain. Shingles damaged by algae, lichen or moss are more vulnerable during inclement weather.
- Cracked Chimney – Leaks can also originate from issues with your chimney. Wear and tear along the mud cap or holes in the mortared joints are typical causes of leaks in this area.
Don’t delay in fixing any roof leaks. Those minor leaks can quickly turn into more major structural damage – leading to more costly repairs.
In any home’s life, roofing materials naturally wear down – no matter how well maintained the Bellevue home. At Alpine Roof Care, we strive to keep costs to a minimum while providing quality service. How do you do know when the time for a full roof replacement has come?
- Roof Age – Is your roof 20 to 25 years old? If so, you’re a likely candidate although metal and tin roofs last slightly longer. Any older and it’s a shoe in for a full replacement.
- Loss Of Granules – We can easily replace a damaged shingle or two, but if the entirety of your roof’s shingles are worn down, then a roof replacement maybe necessary. Without those granules, the structure of your home can become vulnerable
- Rotting Wood – A sagging or drooping roof line is a sure sign of rotting issues. Before the issue becomes pronounced, as full replacement is needed.
Don’t panic though. If your roof is younger that 20 years, there maybe steps we can take to implement repairs rather than full replacements. Contact us today for a free estimate to determine the best course of action.